The Hudsons are trying really hard to eat better in 2016……….which means I actually have to cook. It is so easy to get out of the habit. I have been really tired of eating chicken breast, so I wanted to try something different. While shopping in Aldi the other day, I got a one pound bag of frozen shrimp for about $5.00, which was a pretty good deal. I decided to get creative in the kitchen and here is what I came up with for dinner.
Honey Garlic Shrimp and Broccoli
1 lb. of shrimp (uncooked, shelled and deveined)
2 tbsp of minced garlic
1/4 tsp of ginger
1/4 cup of Braggs liquid aminos (can use soy sauce instead)
1/2 cup of organic honey
1-1 1/2 cups of broccoli
- In a small bowl, mix together garlic, ginger, honey, and Braggs.
- Place the raw shrimp in a large ziplock bag or a bowl, pour 1/3 of the marinade over the shrimp, massage into the shrimp and refrigerate for one hour. Save the remainder of the marinade.
- Start cooking rice in a separate pot.
- Warm a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tbsp of the marinade and stir fry oil to the pan. Toss broccoli in the skillet until warm and tender, about 5-8 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Remove shrimp from fridge, discard the marinade. Place shrimp in the skillet for 1 minute on each side until they are curled and start to brown. Use tongs to rub the shrimp around in the marinade that should be good and caramelized now.
- Once all of the shrimp have been cooked, add the broccoli back into the skillet. Heat for 2-3 minutes tossing it around in the caramelized sauce.
- Serve immediately over a bed of rice and drizzle the remainder of the honey sauce to your liking.
This was healthy, delicious and dinner was ready in about 15 minutes. Ever the six year old wanted seconds. That is a winner in this mom’s book!